Raymond McGrath was an architect in addition to being an interior designer. He was popular for his 20 year assignment as the Principal Architect, where he worked for the Office of Public Works in Ireland. He studied architecture at Sydney University and moved to England to undertake a fellowship at Clare College in Cambridge. In 1930, he decide to establish his own practice in London where he received his first commission to design the interior of the Broadcasting House in Portland Place, London. He also recruited Modernist contemporaries Serge Chermayeff and Wells Coates to assist him in this project. In the 1930s, Raymond McGrath wrote two famous publications - 'Glass in Architecture' in 1937 and 'Twentieth Century Houses' in 1934. He took on an extensive residential commission in 1936 for a house in Surrey. The house was designed for the highly recognised landscape artist, Christopher Tunnard. Upon completion of the project, Raymond McGrath moved to Dublin where he took on the role of Senior Architect at the Office of Public works. He progressed his way up to the role of Principal Architect and he organised and regulated the architecture and interior of various Ireland's major public buildings, including the Royal Hibernian Academy and the Dublin Castle.