Connell, Ward & Lucas
Connell, Ward & Lucas was a joint collaboration between Amyas Connell, Basil Ward and Colin Lucas. Although it was a momentary venture, the practice had a huge influence within its 6 years of existence. From 1933 to 1939, Connell, Ward & Lucas architects had finished a variety of projects, from private houses and flats to a film studio. The practice was one of the prime upholders of the International Style in Britain as their architecture consisted largely of reinforced concrete shaped into cubic sculptural forms and there was an emphasis on horizontality. Amongst the 3 talented architects of the practice, Amyas Connell was the most popular architect who was born in New Zealand. The practice disbanded in 1939 after the war. Amyas Connell went back to London after setting up practices in Africa, Colin Lucas connected with the LCC Architect’s Department and Basil Ward became a professor at the Royal College of Art and established another practice.